Maluti Community Development Forum (MCDF) was founded in 2013 by concerned citizens of Mokhotlong, Lesotho.
Mokhotlong is located on a mountainous area far north of the country and home to the biggest diamond mine in Lesotho, it is also within a regional border where three other big mines are located and within a location where two new prospecting sites are ongoing. Mokhotlong is undoutedly a farming community in the form of animal husbandry. more families depend on livestock than any other area in Lesotho.
Mokhotlong is renowned as the water source of the greater Lesotho river attributories amongst which the Orange River springing from and flowing all the way to the atlantic ocean, keeping Lesotho, South Africa and Namibia under constant supply of potable water.
POSITION AREA OF EXPERTISE & EXPERIENCE
EX OFFICIO MEMBERS 2 PRINCIPAL CHIEFS OF MOKHOTLONG & TLOKOENG
PRESIDENT LAW & BANKING; SOCIAL DEVELOPMENT & COMMUNITY MOBILISATION
SECRETARY TOURISM, PROJECT MANAGEMENT; RESEARCH & DEVELOPMENT
TREASURER BUSINESSMAN; COMMUNITY LEADER
AREA CHIEFS & COMMUNITY LEADERS
MCDF aims to achieve its goals through the following:
1. To promote, develop and improve general livelihood of the communities of Mokhotlong by establishing among other things an abattoir at which all animals due for slaughter shall be taken in order to go to the butcheries.
To protect the use of minerals and other natural resources of Mokhotlong for the maximum benefit and empowerment of the communities on their land and in a sustainable manner through the establishment of local and international markets.
2. To solicit finance from all sources to help the forum and its affiliated associations or members by loans or otherwise to establish and/or promote projects of different kinds intended for the advancement of their livelihood and well being.
3. To affiliate with the regional, continental and international associations, governmental, institutional and non governmental organisations with concurring or similar objectives and interests in community development matters comprising of , but not limited to, improved standards of living and poverty alleviation, job creation, tourism promotion, commercial farming, youth empowerment through employment creation and entrepreneurship and other matters of general concern.
4. To assist in all possible ways, where its opinion is requested, the proper use, exploration and exploitation of natural resources and minerals, and the proper re-investment of already existing public funds portfolios.
To assist in all possible ways, where its opinion is requested, the proper use, exploration and exploitation of natural resources and minerals, and the proper re-investment of already existing public funds portfolios.
5. To undertake settlement by conciliation, arbitration, disciplinary actions, legal proceedings or any democratically allowed manner which may be deemed expedient, the community's disputes with any other independent body, institute or commercial entity and/or be they amongst the association’s members or otherwise.
To research, collect and disseminate information and educate affected communities on issues of their rights and business interests for their development.
Although the MCDF was founded in Mokhotlong and primarily operates instant, it is envisioned that it will eventually spread to all affected areas of Lesotho as the need arises and according to capacity.